The Rajhenburg Castle has protected the surrounding area from a perch some sixty metres above the confluence of the Brestanica stream and the river Sava. The castle was rebuilt by Bishop Konrad of Salzburg in the time between 1131 and 1147; the oldest, Roman, part of the building, is reminiscent in that.
The building and the land were later owned by the Rajhenburgs for half a century. After the death of the last of the Rajhenburgs, the successors added contemporary elements to the building and gradually gave it the appearance we still see today.
In 1881, the Trappist monks bought the Rajhenburg Castle and turned it into a monastery, which operated until the German occupation in 1941, when the Germans transformed the castle and its appurtenant buildings into a camp for deporting Slovenes.
The Trappist order was dissolved in 1947 and the castle was then nationalised. In June of the same year, a correctional facility for women opened in the castle, and later also other correctional institutions. Since 1968, when the castle hosted a permanent exhibition on deportees, it has been used primarily as a museum and an event venue.
During various events (concerts, theatre plays, lectures, etc.) organised as part of permanent and temporary exhibitions, visitors can learn about the history of the castle, the city, and the entire region.
The Rajhenburg Castle is one of the most important monuments of medieval castle architecture in Slovenia. In 2014, a herbal garden was planted in the neatly planned and arranged inner ward; the garden is one of the elements of the Trappist legacy which is being revived through the organisation of cultural and tourist events such as the Rajhenburg chocolate, liquor, champagne and cheese days. The castle cellar was turned into a wine gallery; the museum shop offers catalogues of exhibitions and many local products, including chocolate from Brestanica; the castle café and pastry shop serves coffee and delicious pastries. The completely renovated castle with its scenic position and exemplary interior is an excellent venue for wedding ceremonies; it is modernly equipped to be accessible for disabled people.
Raka or Arch Castle is one of the oldest medieval castles in Slovenia.
It was first mentioned in written accounts from 1611 and explicitly as Castrum Arch in 1279. Built no later than the second half of the 12th century by the Counts of Bogen, it was inherited by the Counts of Andechs and then passed into the possession of the Dukes of Spanheim.
Countess Barbara Bela, who was famous for her cruelty, had insubordinate peasants tied to a pillory, which still stands along the path leading to the Castle. The Castle burnt down in 1515 during the pan-Slovenian peasant revolt and was restored in Renaissance style in 1525.
In the 17th century, Raka Castle was owned by the Barons of Werneck and eventually sold to the Kajzelj family, who arranged greenhouse plots and a crab pond below the Castle. The old Castle was preserved from its dilapidated state by Baron Haller von Hallerstein, who owned it from 1784 to 1825 and gave it a completely new and refined look. His coat of arms can be seen above the entrance.
The Castle was used as a German military outpost during World War II.
Between 1948 and 1998, the Castle was inhabited by the Daughters of Charity. They ran it as their own nursing home for old nuns. In 1998, the Daughters of Charity abandoned the Castle, which became the property of Krško Municipality. The latter restored a part of the roof and bought 2000m2 of land from a neighbour. In December, the Castle was sold at a public auction. The current owner thoroughly restored the Castle and furnished 43 rooms with authentic furniture (1,000 pieces of furniture, paintings, arms and other inventory).
The Krško City Museum
The museum operates as a unit of the Krško Culture House. It is located in the renovated Valvasor complex, which was opened to the public on 30 March 2010. The Municipality of Krško had already proclaimed it a cultural and historic monument in 1993, and it underwent intensive renovation work between 2008 and 2010.
The complex was restored to regain its original appearance. It is comprised of three family residences: a Late Renaissance Valvasor house and the neighbouring Jarnovič and Kaplan houses, which are the oldest continuously preserved buildings in Krško. Their appearance started evolving in the 15th century.
The Mencinger house
Today united, the two houses along the main street used to be separate and had house numbers 37 and 38 in the 1930s. The house features architectural elements that bear witness to the rich history of the building.
During the comprehensive renovation work in 2012, rare wall paintings dating as far back as the 16th century were discovered in the north building. We assume the paintings relate to the people of Krško and the Protestant movement. Research has shown that Janez Vajkard Valvasor lived in the south building. At the end of the 19th century this was home to writer, lawyer and mayor Dr. Janez Mencinger.
A part of the house is open for guided tours (guides from the Krško City Museum).
The Hočevar Mausoleum
The city park is home to one of the most beautiful new gothic mausoleums in Slovenia. This is where the Hočevar spouses were laid to rest. A large statue of Christ made of white stone dominates the interior of the mausoleum.
Martin Hočevar died in 1886 and was buried in the city cemetery where construction of the mausoleum soon started.
The building is most likely the work of an architect from Graz from the circle of Georg Hauberrisser. It was completed in 1890, when Martin Hočevar was interred and later joined by his wife Josipina in 1911.
The Old Town
Krško received city rights in 1477. The town’s rich history dates from before the Turkish invasions and peasant revolts when the citizens helped peasants in 1573. At that time, the town was an important Protestant centre. This is where Adam Bohorič and his student Jurij Dalmatin worked.
At the end of the 17th century, the famous polyhistorian Janez Vajkard Valvasor passed away in the southern part of what was to become a fixture of the town’s historical centre, the Mencinger House.
This house used to be home to the legal advocate and writer Dr. Janez Mencinger. In addition to attractions, the old town square has an administrative centre, the Valvasor Library with a Capuchin monastery, the town park, the parish church of St. John the Evangelist, and the Krško City Museum.
The City Park
In the heart of a former graveyard and today’s city park lies the former Church of the Holy Cross, now Park Hall (Dvorana v parku). Only three tombs of famous citizens of Krško remain in the park. This is where the politician and writer Dr. Janez Mencinger was laid to rest. In is direct vicinity is the tomb of the first principal, writer of the first history of Krško and the founder of a local credit bank, Ivan Lapajne. The park also hosts the Hočevar Mausoleum of the spouses Martin and Josipina Hočevar, the Valvasor Library with a Capuchin monastery, and the Grove of Deserving Citizens where you can see bust sculptures of famous Krško citizens.
The Jurij Dalmatin Memorial Park
Previously a graveyard in Videm, which is the newer part of Krško on the left bank of the river Sava, the Jurij Dalmatin Memorial Park is situated in direct vicinity of the Jurij Dalmatin Primary School. The former graveyard was turned into a memorial park in 2009. In the central part of the park is an iron sculpture depicting great Slovene Protestants by Vojko Pogačar. The author translated a drawing directly to an iron plate and depicted Jurij Dalmatin, Primož Trubar and Adam Bohorič.
The Basilica of the Mary from Lourdes
The Basilica of the Mary from Lourdes, the so-calle Slovenian Lourdes, is a pilgrim and parish church of the Brestanica Parish. It is situated in the centre of Brestanica, not far from Krško. Today, the church is one of the largest in Slovenia and the largest in the Posavje region. It is truly worth admiration due to its great size and architectural style. Many locals and foreign tourists visit this church. It was built between 1908 and 1914. It is a mighty triplenave basilica built in neo-Romance style and considered one of the most beautiful sacral buildings in Slovenia.
The Church of the St. John the Evangelist
The Church of St. John the Evangelist in Krško was built in 1582 and extensively remodelled in the second half of the 19th century; nowadays, only the church tower and a part under the choir still have the original form. In 1894, when the Krško Parish was established, the church was elevated to parish church status and extensively renovated with the financial help of Josipina Hočevar. In 1899, the front of the facade was embellished with reliefs, which are works of Ivan Zajc who later designed the statue of Prešeren in Ljubljana. A Plague Column from the 17th century, bearing witness to the Black Death that broke out in the town several times in is history, still stands by the church.
Contact: ++386 7 492 28 70
St. Rosalie’s Church
The subsidiary church of St. Rosalie’s is situated on a hill above Krško where it was built in 1646 by the locals as a thank you for the plague subsiding – hence, the church’s name of the patroness in the fight against the plague. A special feature of the building is its wooden painted ceiling with 84 coffers, which is also one of the most beautiful of its kind in Slovenia. In the centre of the ceiling are nine coffers depicting St. Rosalie, St. Catherine, St. Ellen, St. Lucy, St. Apolonia, St. Cecil, St. Ursula, St. Margaret andnSt. Barbara. At the right of the entrance is a thank you plate to benefactress Josipina Hočevar who renovated the church; the inscription was created by writer Janez Mencinger.
Contact: ++386 7 492 28 70
Founded by the Romans in the first half of the 1st century, Neviodunum, a city in the area of today’s village of Drnovo, was primarily important as a port, although it was also a lively commercial and craft centre with many pottery and brick workshops. It was the political, economic and cultural centre situated along two important roads: the road connecting Aquileia, Emona and Siscia, and the road along the river Sava. Today, the location of the majestic Neviodunum is an important archaeological site.
The Ajdovska Cave
Located in a Karst area of the Krško hills near Nemška vas (German village), the Ajdovska Cave is a well-known archaeological site dating back to the end of the 19th century. The excavation done so far has proven the presence of humankind in the New Stone Age and, according to certain assumptions, even from the Old Stone Age. The cave was used for cult, farewell and funeral purposes. The excavated tombs have shown many items dating as far back as 6,000 years (pottery, necklaces, bracelets and tools). The cave was also shelter to various animals, which is attested by a 50,000 year-old skeleton of a cave bear and around 5,000 year-old remains of bats. The cave,bwhich people used as refuge from various dangers in the Antiquity and the High Middle Ages, is one of Slovenia’s most important archaeological sites. The excavated items are displayed in the Posavje Museum in Brežice.