The Valvasor Library Krško

The Valvasor Library has operated as the central library in the Municipality of Krško since 1965. It is situated in five locations; in addition to the central library and the youth department in the old town, there are units in Videm, Senovo and Kostanjevica na Krki. In 1988, the Capuchin monastery became home to the central library. Over the years the library has become a modern cultural, educational, information and social centre to the local area, providing and implementing library services for all generations.

 

The library enables access to sources of information and knowledge and plays an active role in the development of the modern reading culture and information society. It helps develop the local studies activity and preserve the cultural heritage of the local area. In addition, it plays an active role in lifelong learning, prepares various bibliopedagogic activities for children and adults and organizes cultural events for all generations. It implements its mission in cooperation with educational and other institutions, societies and organizations in the local and wider area. In 2015, the library’s collection included 165,000 units of material; its members borrowed over 380,000 units, and it received more than 120,000 visitors.
The Krško Valvasor Library is one of the most frequented cultural institutions in the municipality; it is the meeting spot, the “living room” of the town, and as such, a popular, must-have building among the locals.

Contact:
T: ++386 7 490 40 00
E: knjiznica@knjiznica-krsko.si
W: www.knjiznica-krsko.si
GPS: 45.965474, 15.485585

The Capuchin monastery and library

Capuchins settled in Krško in 1644 and needed a library for their work. The rich Baroque Capuchin library is a unique example of a monastery library, having been preserved in its original form and structure from Brežice to Ljubljana, and it is still housed on the top floor of the monastery adjacent to the modernstyle Valvasor Library. Capuchins in Krško worked in the educational and health fields, thus the library includes many dictionaries, lexicons and medical books, as well as theological, philosophical, law and history books, and biographies. The oldest book is the Latin dictionary by Calepin which was published in 1502. The more than 300 year-old library has around 1,500 books, which include work of Tobia Lionelli. Between 1980 and 1984 the library was refurbished, and it opened to the public in 1984. Both institutions foster their priceless cultural heritage and organise tours for visitors to learn about it.

Contact:
T: ++386 7 490 40 00
E: knjiznica@knjiznica-krsko.si
W: www.knjiznica-krsko.si
GPS: 45.965474, 15.485585