The City Museum Krško
The museum operates as a part of the Krško Culture House. It was opened on 30th of March 2010 in the renovated Valvasor complex. In 1993, the museum was declared a cultural and historic monument. A statue of polyhistorian Valvasor by the academic sculptor and medallist Vladimir Štoviček was placed in front of the house in 1966. The museum is comprised of what was formerly three separate family residencies: a Late Renaissance Valvasor house and the neighbouring Jarnovič and Kaplan houses, which are the oldest continuously preserved buildings in Krško. Their appearance started evolving in the 15th century; in terms of architecture, the three houses are considered to be the highest quality part of the historical centre of Krško.
The museum exhibits permanent collections that present famous locals. Among them are polyhistorian Janez Vajkard Valvasor (1641–1693), patron and economist Josipina Hočevar (1824–1911), and academic sculptor and medallist Vladimir Štoviček (1896–1989). The first permanent exhibition held in the museum was the collection of Vladimir Štoviček. Every exhibit is a part of his extensive artwork, which he donated to the Municipality of Krško on the occasion of the municipality’s 80th anniversary.
The museum also displays Valvasor’s collection of graphic arts, Iconotheca Valvasoriana, the entire translation of Slava vojvodine Kranjske and older facsimilia from 1877. Since 2015, visitors can also see the tragic destiny of young people who plotted the resistance to the German occupying forces already at the start of the summer of 1941. They are known as the first soldiers of Krško; the main and longest road in Krško called “Cesta krških žrtev” (the Krško victims road) has been named after them.
In addition to famous locals, the exhibits present the town throughout various periods. The exhibition “The long Age of Enlightenment in the 18th century”, which presents life in that period and the connection of the locals with the river Sava is a representative sample. The exhibition areas also provide insight into the heritage of the wider region seen through the Path of Honey- Bread Making between Krško and Zagreb.
The Krško City Museum hosts many events, such as regular professional lectures, training sessions, pedagogical or creative workshops and others. Its permanent and temporary exhibitions and other museum programmes promote the cultural heritage of the city and the Municipality of Krško.
The Krško Gallery
The former Church of the Holy Spirit (built in 1777) is situated in the direct vicinity of the Krško City Museum. It was built at the place of the former Church of the Holy Spirit (1440) by the Auerspergers. Before World War II, the church was deconsecrated and turned into the Krško Museum by 1939. In 1966, the Krško Gallery moved here, and since 2010 it has been managed by the Krško Culture House. It is an outstanding exhibition space characterised by late Baroque architecture. Despite being deconsecrated, the building still reminds visitors of its original purpose. The exhibition space hosts temporary purpose-made art exhibitions.
The Ethnological Collection Šribar
The Ethnological Collection Šribar is located in the original premises of an old rich farmhouse in Kobile. After more than 30 years of work, the collection was completed and exhibited in 2003. The collection contains more than 3,500 pieces of cultural heritage which are either exhibited or stored in depots. The oldest, a few-million-year-old pieces, are fossil remains of shells from the Pannonian Sea, whereas the majority of items originate from the 19th and 20th centuries and mostly include items that were used on farms to work the agricultural land, various tools, machines and equipment, old manual tools used by domestic artisans, household appliances, items, pieces of furniture, etc.
T: ++386 7 492 11 56
GPS: 45.952318, 15.439906
The library also contains a room called “Speedway”, or a “miniature museum” called “Speedway in Slovenia” displaying a permanent special exhibition. This is the only public collection of its kind in Slovenia. It displays the rich technical and cultural heritage of the Slovenian area. The collection includes interesting items from the past of this motorsport in Slovenia, which has more than a fifty-year tradition in Krško. The Speedway exhibition displays many items – from the bike and rider equipment to race numbers, trophies and awards, and much more. Each exhibit tells a story of more than half a century of the Slovenian Speedway, individual racers, and past events that shaped this special and exciting sport. Visitors can also see short films from the history of Speedway in Slovenia.
The Embassy of Cviček
The Embassy of Cviček promotes the wine Cviček, tourism, education and social events of winegrowers. It is made up of two parts: the basement serving as a wine cellar and a room that can accommodate up to 70 guests. The upper floor is made of oak logs and is a modern version of the former house from the 18th century. It is furnished following the traditions of winegrowers of that time. Winegrowers used to be called “gorniki”, and they rearranged their houses into accommodation spaces, which is why the Embassy of Cviček has three rooms: a small room with a traditional fireplace, a small bedroom and an area with a collection of vineyard and wine cellar equipment used by winegrowers in that time.
T: ++386 41 739 557